The News of the World announces it has sacked senior editor Ian Edmondson after an internal inquiry. Despite David Cameron defending Andy Coulson in the face of ongoing speculation about his knowledge of phone hacking at News of the World, Andy Coulson resigns as Cameron's communications chief.
These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel Image caption British tabloid the News of the World closed in July after years in circulation The row over phone-hacking by journalists has led to the closure of the News of the World newspaper, the establishment of the Leveson Inquiry, an MPs' inquiry and the launch of three police investigations.
The BBC takes a look at the key questions it poses. What is the phone-hacking scandal? The story goes back to when Clive Goodman, the then News of the World royal editor, and Glenn Mulcaire, a private investigator were convicted of intercepting voicemail messages left for royal aides and subsequently jailed.
Their newspaper said they had acted alone - but the then editor Andy Coulson quit, saying he took responsibility for what happened. By September a string of Phone hacking scandal people began legal moves to have their claims looked at again amid mounting suspicions that phone hacking had been more widely used.
The turning point came in January when the Metropolitan Police launched Operation Weeting, a fresh phone hacking investigation which included looking at the original case.
The investigation slowly widened to include allegations of improper payments to public officials and separate claims of computer hacking.
The critical political moment in the affair came when the Guardian newspaper reported that the newspaper had hacked the mobile phone belonging to murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler. What happened to the News of the World? The Sunday newspaper was one of the oldest in the UK and sold some 2.
Its fondness for sex scandals gained it the nickname "News of the Screws". Rupert Murdoch closed it down in the wake of the Milly Dowler revelations.
Its final front page declared "Thank you and goodbye".
Image caption Claims that Milly Dowler's phone was hacked were described as "truly dreadful" by the prime minister How many people have been hacked? More than 4, people have been identified by police as possible victims of phone hacking by the NoW.
The forthcoming prosecutions see below specify identifiable alleged victims. How does phone hacking work? The opportunity to access voicemail messages came down to a simple security oversight. Mobile phones used to be supplied with a default factory-set personal identification number that could be used to access voicemail from another phone or abroad.
Customers were encouraged to change that Pin, but very few did. That meant that anyone could call the phone and if the owner did not answer, the caller could use the Pin to access the voicemail and any stored messages.
Is phone hacking illegal? Hacking voicemails is classed as an unlawful interception of communications under Section One of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act Has anyone been charged? On 24 July, the Crown Prosecution Service announced it would be charging eight people with phone hacking.
The group includes Andy Coulson, the former News of the World editor and, more recently, David Cameron's former spokesman. Rebekah Brooks, the former chief executive of News International, was also among those charged. Both Ms Brooks and Mr Coulson have said they will fight to clear their names.
Rebekah Brooks, her husband and others also face a separate charge of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in relation to the police investigations.
What role has the Met Police played in the affair? Image caption Sir Paul Stephenson quit as Met chief amid criticism for hiring an ex-NoW executive as an advisor The Met has faced enormous criticism over its initial approach to the allegations.
The original inquiry in resulted in just two arrests. In the force decided not to relaunch the investigation despite pressure to do so.Rupert Murdoch's future hangs in the balance as he prepares to face Commons grilling over phone hacking.
Insiders 'concerned about way Mr Murdoch will answer questions'. Allegations that News International journalists were involved in hacking people's phones for information led to the closure of the year-old News of the World tabloid in and a trial costing reportedly up to £m.
Sun makes £24m loss amid print ad slump and phone-hacking costs. Challenging print ad revenue and legal costs relating to hacking scandal continue to trouble tabloid and pre-tax losses of the.
Jul 23, · The key events in the phone hacking scandal, which has led to the closure of the News of the World, halted Rupert Murdoch's BSkyB takeover bid, . Jul 14, · News about the News of the World phone hacking scandal.
Commentary and archival information about the News of the World phone hacking scandal from The New York Times. Rupert Murdoch's legacy will forever be tarnished by the phone-hacking scandal that has engulfed British journalism for a decade.